Last post I mentioned about the Mediterranean diet (but really it is a lifestyle) and gave some of the common food/diet customs.
Here are some more lifestyle factors I forgot to add:
- They eat greens weekly if not daily, usually dandelion weeds which are plentiful and cheap.
- Greek vinaigrette is used for many purposes including salad dressing, marinating and more: Olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Eggs are a quick meal or a pantry meal.
- A market visits towns once or twice a week for people do their shopping.
- People walk to the market, old people walk faster than young people.
- People walk to church, school and to shops, everyone gets to walk.
- People walk up and down stairs in buildings, elevators are small and for special occasions.
- Eating is for relaxation, you shouldn't be in a hurry and the meal should be enjoyed.
- People only concern themselves with the current day, tomorrow will have it's day, yesterday won't be repeated.
- Meals are cooked early so you don't have to do it at the last minute when you are tired, perhaps that morning.
- People often cook for more than one meal and share the meal or save for freezing or leftovers.
- Fun is incorporated, even in a small way, to everyday.
- During religious fasting the diet is very similar to a vegan diet and still has plenty to offer.
- The outdoors and nature is revered, there's plenty of nice things to look at to brighten ones mood.
- Detailed planning isn't a very revered skill since a lot of people only concern themselves with today.
- Quality is very important, much more so than quantity.
- People follow the rule that you can have a little of everything, or in moderation.
So there is plenty to try to incorporate into todays western modern stressed lifestyle, plenty of back to basics ideas.
So how have I been doing? We were on vacation recently where we walked A LOT, ie 28,000 steps in a day and I decided to get rid of my sweet tooth (was it always really just a decision?) and ate diabetic types of meals. My meals have high complex carbs, protein and fat in every meal. I minimized as much as possible, even on vacation, my simple carbs, even if the rest of the family ate regular meals and snacks. When I got back I weighed 7 Lbs less! Yes, finally budging the scale. I need to keep at it with the diabetic style meals, minimal processed & starchy carbs and lots of walking.
Hope you are doing well.
Follow me on twitter @myHFjourney
Save big NOW on all hotel bookings with Up to a $100 Cash Back Rebate with code AFREBATES! Book by 6/30/15, Travel by 8/31/15.